Foreign Travel Immunization Clinic

The Vanderburgh County Health Department (VCHD) operates a Foreign Travel Clinic where vaccines (also known as immunizations or shots) are offered to those who are traveling to a foreign country.  VCHD is a licensed Yellow Fever vaccination Clinic.  Clients are issued an International Certificate of Vaccination to show proof of immunizations.  All immunizations are given according to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention’s (CDC) guidelines.

NOTE: The Vanderburgh County Health Department has depleted its supply of Yellow Fever vaccine.  The vaccine is currently unavailable for order from the manufacturer.  Click the below link to locate a clinic administering Stamaril, an alternative Yellow Fever vaccine.

Foreign Travel vaccines are administered by appointment only after you complete a travel phone consult with a nurse.  Please call 812-435-5997 at least 4-6 weeks before your departure date. 

Please have the following information ready:

A complete shot record and list of medications, health conditions, and allergies.

Travel itinerary with:

  • Date of Departure
  • Length and Type of Trip
  • Countries by Order of Visit
  • Activities planned for trip

Fees & Requirements:

  • Prices for vaccines vary and there is an administration fee per vaccine.
  • The total cost will depend on what an individual needs and is due at the time of service.
  • Fees are payable by cash, check, credit or debit card (Visa, Master Card and Discover.)
    • A convenience fee is charged for each debit/credit card transaction.
  • Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian or another adult over 18 years of age WITH a letter signed by the parent or legal guardian, naming the adult and child, and giving the adult permission to bring in the child.
  • Clients should wear short sleeves, eat before coming to the clinic and be prepared to wait.

Helpful Hints for Locating Immunization (Shot) Records:

This step is very important because the VCHD can only count vaccine dates for which you have a written record.

  1. Call all secondary schools (i.e. high school) you last attended and request your shot records.  They may be located with your academic record, or stored in the nurse’s office or in the main school corporation building.
  2. Ask your parents and/or look through you and your siblings baby books, receipts, other papers that may be stored in family records for the names and dates of shots.
  3. Call all previous healthcare providers, employers and local health departments of counties in which you have lived and ask them to look you up in their registry.

Other hints can be found at :

Our nurses will review your travel itinerary, vaccine record and health history to make recommendations for vaccines and medications based on current CDC guidelines.  They will also discuss tips for personal health and safety and what to do if you become ill during your trip.  (For instance, topics may include foodborne, waterborne, animal or insect-borne illnesses etc.).  This information may vary based on the destination, climate and activities listed for your specific travel itinerary.

Vaccines and Medications for Travel Consultation

Clients who are not properly vaccinated are at an increased risk of becoming ill by serious and potentially fatal vaccine-preventable diseases like measles, pertussis (whooping cough), typhoid and yellow fever. Without being properly vaccinated, clients can spread these diseases to others during and after they return from their trip.

CDC Foreign Travel Disease Directory

Additional Resources

We do not provide or write prescriptions for anti-malarial medication or antibiotics.

Travel Health and Safety Packet CDC Traveler’s Health website